|On a space of 250 acres, the park encompasses Schloss Fasanerie within a small ideal landscape of diverse elements of wild and formed nature. Encircled by a high wall that brackets the ensemble of components, the park’s different areas fit uniformly together: meadows, flower beds, artistically composed lakes, paths bordering fields of freely grouped trees, and woods intersected by avenues. The woods connect to a largely untouched forest with a creek.|
|The park can be seen as the origin of the entire castle grounds. The building of the official summer residence in 1738 was preceded by the establishment of a simple hunting park that Amand von Buseck, Prince Abbot and later Prince Bishop of Fulda (1737-1756) outfitted as an important Baroque era garden in accordance with the needs and fashions of 18th-century design. This included a terraced, symmetrically arranged pleasure garden south of the castle terrace, tree-line avenues, and series of small ponds. Today, the park’s pavilion buildings and other relics testify to the brilliant splendor of the waning Baroque age.|
| In 1816, when the Fulda territories came into the possession of the Electors of Hesse, a new era had emerged in which park design also took a completely new turn, that of the 18th-century English landscape garden. During the park’s renovation between 1824 and 1827, Elector Wilhelm II (1777-1847) had the geometric forms and strict design of the pleasure garden altered in favor of a more naturally styled continuous landscape park intersected by curved paths. Based on this extremely artistically designed layout of the Romantic period, the park today is a historical garden monument and attracts strollers year-round to the "Fasanerie."
You will get a first impression from the panaroma picture of the Garden Lake.