Extending over an area of about 100 hectares, the park of Schloss Fasanerie is a perfect miniature landscape created by a combination of wilderness and carefully maintained areas. Encircled by a high wall which holds all elements in a kind of embrace, the various areas of the park create a well-balanced whole: meadows, flower beds and skilfully arranged man-made lakes and paths border fields with loosely arranged groups of trees and a wood crossed by tree-lined avenues. This is followed by a largely natural forest with a small stream.
The park could be considered as the main reason for the existence of the entire palace complex. Even before the official summer residence was built in 1738, this area was the site of a simple hunting park which Amand von Buseck, Prince Abbot and later Prince Bishop of Fulda, had turned into an important baroque garden at a later date, in keeping with 18th century requirements and fashions. Today, the park's pavilion buildings and other relics still testify to the brilliant splendour of the last days of the Baroque period.
In 1816, the Fulda territories were ceded to the electorate of Hesse. It was the beginning of a new era, and landscape design also took a completely new turn. When the park was redesigned between 1824 and 1827, Elector William II had the originally terraced and formal pleasure garden changed into an English style landscape park, crossed by numerous curved paths. The current park is based on this extremely elaborately design from the Romantic period. It is now a listed historic park and garden that attracts walkers to the Schloss Fasanerie grounds all year round.
Take a walk in the beautiful palace park to get a first idea of its beauty. Guided tours around the park for groups available on request (advance booking necessary).The group guided tour takes around 1.5 hours.