Culture is not an ornament. It is the foundation our society rests and relies on.*
In 2012, the House of Hesse decided to establish a cultural foundation: the House of Hesse Cultural Foundation. Its aim is the preservation and conservation of the art collections and cultural heritage of the House of Hesse electors, with a particular focus on presenting the centuries old cultural values in such a way that the cultural history shared by what is now the federal state of Hessen and the House of Hesse can be experienced by everyone.
*Excerpt from a report by the Bundestag Study Commission, official publication 16/7000
Donatus Landgrave of Hesse
Floria Landgravine of Hesse
Rainer Prince of Hesse
Board of Trustees
Dr. Marie Louise Gräfin von Plessen
Prof. Dr. Carl-Heinz Heuer
Jan Nikolaus Viebrock
Purpose of Foundation
The purpose of the foundation is defined in § 2 section 1, 2 (Charter of the House of Hesse Cultural Foundation) as follows:
- The purpose of the foundation is the promotion of art and culture and the protection and conservation of listed buildings.
- The foundation fulfils its purpose through the following measures in the creative arts and culture sector:
- Conservation, reconstruction and restoration of cultural goods of artistic, scientific or historic merit, including the library housed at Schloss Fasanerie palace near Fulda and the House of Hesse Archive, also housed there;
- funding of publications about the history of the House of Hesse and the region which is now the federal state of Hessen;
- organisation and funding of exhibitions of cultural goods related to the history of the House of Hesse and the region which is now the federal state of Hessen;
- in the area of conservation and maintenance of listed buildings:
- Preservation and maintenance of the gravesites of the family of Hesse at the palace chapel in Rumpenheim, the chapel at Kronberg castle and on Rosenhöhe in Darmstadt;
- preservation and maintenance of Schloss Fasanerie palace near Fulda including all outbuildings and the entire grounds;
- realisation and organisation of guided tours at Schloss Fasanerie, its outbuildings and the listed grounds;
- preservation and maintenance of monuments connected to the history of the House of Hesse.